Holidays in Santa Teresa Gallura: the story
The territory of Santa Teresa Gallura has been inhabited since 4000 BC among the sites visited near Santa Teresa Gallura that testify to the Nuraghic culture, in “Santa Reparata”, we find the nuraghic village of Lu Brandali.
The nuraghic settlement of Lu Brandali can be found between a small granite hill and a plain below. It consists of Nuraghe with turreted defence walls, a village with huts, some rock shelters, a tomb of giants and several tombs in tafone.
Under Roman rule, the two most important towns of which there are still remains are Longonis and Tibula. The Romans used the area for the granite that was then shipped and used for the construction of monuments and noble villas of ancient Rome.
Longosardo, founded by the Pisani whilst the republic was at war with Genoa, soon became one of the most important ports of Sardinia, from which goods were allowed to be shipped from or unloaded.
The war between Genoa and Pisa made the area depopulated: a haven for bandits and pirates which lasted for the next two centuries, this led to the birth of Santa Teresa Gallura, created to have a control outpost of the Kingdom of Sardinia that was tired of the continual castle-rustling.
Santa Teresa Gallura was founded in 1808, due to the intensification of smuggling to try and create a control outpost to oppose smuggling between Corsica and the Sardinian shepherds.
It was named the small Turin and it has become one of most appreciated touristic areas of North Sardinia for its beaches, gastronomy, unspoiled scenery, Capo Testa, the Valley of the Moon and the beaches which surround the area.